Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A day of many firsts!

It official.. first update from Phoenix. I don’t even really know what to say. After 4 hours on planes, plus an hour or so in the van before, and a few hours in airports along the way, I was more than excited to land @ Sky Harbor. The drive home (well, to the hotel at least) was gorgeous! I guess I did not expect Phoenix to be this beautiful! But then again, God is in the habit of surprising me with a lot of things.

Anyways, I had two amazing “first”s today upon my arrival. I got to eat at In-n-Out for the first time ever.. SO COOL! I was so pumped to find out that they even had them here, then I found out we were eating there!!! It was a moment I had been looking forward to for years. And frankly, I was not let down either.. it was delish! Afterwards I got to experience frozen yogurt in a whole new way at .. ok, don’t ask me where. I can’t remember the name of it. Bottom line = amazing! Basically you take your bowl, serve your own yogurt, and then add whatever toppings you want. Granted, queen of indecisiveness had some issues (remember folks, this is why I don’t like Subway and walmarts.. too many choices!!), but even I could not hold out forever. I finally decided on a delicious blend of two vanillas, strawberry, and plain tart. Come to find out, I should have gotten only the plain tart because guess what?! It tastes like Haitian Yogurt!!! AHHHH!!!! I was sooo excited. Definitely ate way too much, but it was soo worth it.

Afterwards, we came back to the hotel for our first “meeting”, followed by a trip across the parking lots to walmart. That was another first I suppose, since I’ve never been close enough to a Walmart that I could walk. Hmm. Anyways. Moving along. After Walmart it was back to the hotel for chill time and homework time. As always, I’m waiting till the last second to do my homework. Hmm. One day I’ll learn.. one day.

But after last night’s ponderings, I decided I would much rather spend time with the Arizona gang then hiding in my room on my computer. And it was so much fun too! These kids remind me so much of my Carey family, so of course I’m having a blast! But then again, it also makes me miss my Carey fam even more, too.. :/ oh well. I’ll get over it. I tried coming up with a quote of the hour like 200 times, but pretty much every other sentence was QotH worthy… sad times! I considered coming up to the room just to record part of the conversations, but was too lazy. Ha. Maybe tomorrow night. But I will say that the conversations ranged from singing the most random songs, to pictures, to more random songs/youtube videos, and finally landed on bathroom subjects.. at least that’s how far they had gotten when I left. But I did find out some interesting things. Did you know that there is such thing as guy etiquette for bathrooms? Quite interesting. Even more interesting is the iPhone app that tests your knowledge of man codes in relation to urinals… I’ll just leave it at, uh, interesting..

All in all, it was an amazing day. I’m so excited to see what the next few days, weeks, and months have to hold! One interesting thing I will say though.. part of our homework was to do our first posts to the facebook group (which is AZ SM’s btw, if you are interested later on in the summer to see what other summer missionaries in AZ are up to). Reading over what the other girls have posted I have noticed a common theme.. almost every single one has said, in one way or another, that they don’t know why God called them here.. I guess it is comforting to know that I’m not the only one still kinda scratching their head about what they are doing here. I know God has an incredible plan, and that Church on the Fillmore is a great church that (supposedly) lines up with my calling. But at the same time, I still can’t help but ask God on a regular basis why he would put New York so strongly on my heart only to send me the complete opposite direction to Arizona. :-/

oh well… I’m too tired to really think anymore. Jet lag is kicking in.. My body tells me it is 1 am, when its really only 11.. good news is I can sleep till 7 30 and still get 8 ½ hours! Booya! Haha. Night yall.

~Kat K.

No comments:

Post a Comment